Sea Water Reverse Osmosis Plant
Oil and Gas
Karratha, Western Australia
West Australia’s Pilbara region is a power house of the Australian mining and oil and gas sectors; it also suffers an arid climate and scarcity of fresh water.
Australia’s largest marine services provider to the offshore oil and gas industry, Mermaid Marine, operates a large supply base in Karratha. In an effort to ensure security of supply and eliminate dependence on public infrastructure, they engaged MAK Water to design and construct a packaged potable water treatment plant. As a specialist in the field of sea water desalination, with several desalination plants operating in the area, and a local service office in Karratha, MAK Water was selected as their partner in providing a long term solution.
MAK Water designed and manufactured a containerised Sea Water Reverse Osmosis Plant to produce 500 m3/day of potable water.
CUSTOMISED DESIGN FEATURES
- Raw water turbidity monitoring
- N+1 media filters with air scouring (AS1210 certified)
- Dedicated backwash pump and blower
Drinking water to Australian Drinking water guidelines
- Acid dosing and calcite filter (pH and hardness correction)
- Automated sodium hypochlorite dosing (sterilisation)
- Residual chlorine and pH analysers (monitoring)
fully automated and remote CONTROLLED
- Premium instrumentation package
- ClearAccessTM remote monitoring and control
- Online feed and treated water quality analysers
RESULTS AND BENEFITS
- Easy installation. Pre-tested, containerised plant minimised client’s site installation costs and the plant footprint.
- Fully automated plant. Low level of operator intervention reduced Mermaid Marine’s operating costs.
- Self-sufficiency reduces risk. Ensures security of supply and eliminates the dependence on public infrastructure. This, coupled with MAK Water’s local service office, minimised risk and ensures ongoing performance.